One of the President Trumps first actions hits Canadians right in the heart – Hockey
We can’t wait until Don Cherry officially reacts to this one.
President Trump’s America First policy means that Canadian NHL players can’t work full time for American teams. American NHL players only take up 15% of the league, so filling US teams will be a challenge.
Don Cherry has always been a fighter, but it is hard to take a piece out of a president without getting arrested or worse. So we will wait to see what Cherry has to say about this in the next Hockey Night In Canada broadcast.
Imagine Sydney Crosby or Jonathan Toews playing for Team USA at The Olympics?
The full extent of the policy is not yet known but here are a few things we would like to get Cherry’s reaction to:
- There are more Canadian players in the US than the teams in Canada can carry – will they be unemployed? Will they go to Europe?
- Some Player’s could take US Citizenship – What does Cherry think of Sydney Crosby or Jonathan Toews playing for Team USA at The Olympics?
- What will be the reaction to Toronto fans / Leafs Nation when they lose Auston Matthews?
- What will the TV Broadcasters do with their huge contracts – can they sue?
- What happens when American Minor league pros, college players and the National team get called up to the NHL. Who will replace them in the minor leagues?
- Will Some US Teams fold due to lack of quality players?
- Can Canadians take Scholarships from US colleges?
The NHL League office has not yet reacted to this new policy. It will be interesting to see how American Hockey fans react when their teams are decimated.